Tuesday, January 22, 2013

College & Catfish

Television is the home of news, nonsense, and entertainment.  MTV has been a pioneer of these things for quite sometime now.



MTV has recently released a show called "Catfish" which is about a man named Nev and his adventures in trying to help people find true love.  The only problem is that these people never really met face to face.  The only "meeting" they had was online.  The show gets into some sad endings and shocking lies, but it made me think how many people actually meet others online?

 


Here is an online dating chart I found. 















I am sure that many of you have met someone online before and I am no different.  

I "met" a young lady online last summer.  The website was chat roulette which connects you via webcam to random people all around the world and I do mean random.
(Warning, viewer discretion is advised, some people are crazy out there. You've been warned) 


The girl was pretty, sweet, into Hip Hop, and had an accent, AMAZING.  I was intrigued because she was different, and it was something new.  We would speak for hours at a time.  As I started to catch "feelings" for this girl I began to question if this would truly get anywhere.  We were countries apart and the thought that we would ever really meet became a little unreal to me, despite the fact that she was coming to NYC in a couple of months.    

As fate would have it, one day I received a Facebook message from her.  The message stated that she enjoyed all the conversations we had blah, blah, blah, but she had something to tell me.  Throughout the entire time we spoke I remember her mentioning that her friends would always tell her that her best friend was madly in love with her. She would tell me that there was no way she would end up with him.  He just wasn't her type.

Just as I suspected, the Facebook message was her telling me that she decided to give her best friend a chance.  They started dating immediately.  

Imagine if I would have fell head over heals for this girl.  Talk about depressing right?  

I could only image how the people on the show feel when things don't go their way.  

During college you begin to find yourself.  College allows you to see what you like, and what you don't.  As crazy as it may seem, you do not need the internet to meet someone.  Meeting new people is fun.  The world is full of crazies, but you never know what crazy person will complete you.  

Catch you next time, 

L.U.J 

No comments:

Post a Comment